Search This Blog

Sunday, November 19, 2017

but row away from the rocks


I bought this Egyptian dress on Amazon a couple years ago for like $15 because I thought it was a mini-dress. I was little disappointed to find that it was full length and stashed it away thinking maybe I'll just just shorten it myself later but I just couldn't bring myself to chop up a good dress and risk ruining it with my poor sewing skills. I hung it up and completely forgot about it. I rediscovered it and I was certain I had outgrown it since it was pretty snug just two years ago but lo and behold it still fits... eer... thanks to an extremely tight pancreas-compressing body shaper. 


I decided to give the dress a try today since it's very cool and windy outside.
I'm in love. I dig it hard.
 I also have a dress like this in chocolate brown silk with bold metallic silver thread that was given to me a by a guy whose coffee shop I used to visit every day. His mother picked it up on her travels somewhere in the Middle East and never wore it so he gave to someone he knew would appreciate it. Me!!!
It's too tight and the last time I tried it on, I thought I was going to have to cut myself out of it. Plus it has weird 80s-cut puff sleeves so I keep it in my costuming stash to lend out to whoever needs it.


I also have an genuine men's dashiki pants set that is similar to the dress I'm wearing. I intended to wear the top alone as a dress and I even put it on to wear this morning but it's just too dang big. I'd like to figure out a way to taper the waist and flare the bottom of it out into an A-line. 
And by figure it out I mean... take it to a seamstress.
And by take it to a seamstress I mean... sell it on eBay.


Soooo.... how are things going with me?
Meh. Same ol' same ol'. Nothing's really changing or getting better. But on a positive note, it's not getting worse! That's how I see things. I'm never one to say, "Things just can't get any worse" because dadgummit they most definitely can. 
Like, at any moment you could spontaneously burst into flames or your carpet could start suddenly smelling like feet that have been washed with feet in a foot factory. This has been happening to me today so I guess it is getting worse. Seriously I've been on all fours trying to figure out where the foot odor in the house is coming from and it's the living room carpet! Well seasoned with 18 years of bare foot funk. Yikes!
But if that's the extent of my problems for today, I guess I'm doing alright.

 I'm still slowly raising money to open my shop in the mall (◄ info link) but I'm not sure how much longer the manager is going to hold the space for me. He's a super nice guy but I totally understand that time is money.
Either way, I'm going to open the store in the mall even if that means starting off with a kiosk while I wait for another storefront to open. If I get the kiosk after Christmastime the leasing price will go down significantly so it'll be all gravy baby.

After I fulfill this dream, I guess it'll be time for me to pursue my next level dream. My dream 2.0?
My own gothic themed animal-free circus.
Can't you just see it?! 
One step at a time, Hollie. One step at a time.


4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dress! It looks beautiful on you.
    My mom always says "what else could go wrong?" and I yell because something will happen - and it does, usually to me.
    The circus sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress!!! What is your mall shop going to be???? Keep it movin' girl, keep it movin' and I hope it only gets better, not worse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOLZ....Hollie, your posts never fail to entertain. Even when you're going through some tough s**t, you always have a way of putting a positive spin. Like...it's true. Things can always get worse. I don't know why peeps always say they can't!
    Anyhoo, dream big, dahling. That circus thing can happen!
    PS You look great in this dress. That colour is fab on you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both dresses are fabulous! If you can't get on with the other one flog it - every little helps with your dream shop.
    Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete

Don't by shy, you dirty little stalker you. Leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...